Saturday, December 25, 2010

The Birthright of Our Heart



“Love is there. Always. Yet it is often difficult to fully embrace this wellspring of love that resides within our selves and is available to us each and every moment.”




There are many times that I find my self is afraid to take the risk of loving, to become vulnerable and tenderly open hearted with another human being. The wounds from hurtful experiences have created fears and obstacles that hinder my ability to love. Learning to identify and remove those fears is one of life’s most challenging processes. When I feel overwhelmed and afraid to love, I try to remind my self that love, not fear, is the template upon which our world is built.
The lifelong process of facing my self consciously discovering that my fears are just masks for old pain and not premonitions about future. In this process of letting go, I try to focus on those things in my life that nourish the experience of love. I try to focus on those things that help me to let my ego boundaries melt, to lose my self importance and to release my daily worries.
Love is more than thoughts and feelings. Love is behavior. It means spending time with our lover when they are sick. It means being with people as we allow them the space and opportunity to share their lives, their dreams and sometime their tears. It means really trying to see things through another eyes.
And sometimes love is not found in the “doing”. It is often discovered in the quiet moments, in the nurturing of ourselves or others, in the space we create in our lives for love to enter.
In my experiences, I find that we can choose to judge our selves or to love ourselves. When I am in judgment, I become carried away by the failures and heartbreaks of the past and transported forward into the idealistic fantasies of the future.
Love is there – always. It lives as we live. In the end, the measure of our lives will be the sum total of the love that we have shared; of those selfless, loving moments that coalesce to define a life marrow and being is the expression of our birthright.